A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 11! Phew! (Acts chapter 11)

This was a BIG DEAL! The Jews were God’s people. They alone had the ear of the Almighty. And now they hear that Peter… one of their own… one of their leaders is sharing Jesus with Gentiles?!? Really? How could he? He should know better they must have been thinking. So now Peter has to explain. He tells them all about God’s vision, and how he was there to see the Holy Spirit fill the Gentiles, and they knew that it was a sign from God.

This chapter also has some more of the aftermath from the persecution of the Jews after Stephen’s death. Followers of Jesus scattered under the persecution, but continued to preach the Gospel, and they were seeing large numbers of people choosing to follow Christ.

Barnabas (Joseph, nicknamed ‘Son of Encouragement’ remember?) was sent to see what was going on. And like the encourager that he was, he went to get Saul to work with him for a year teaching at Antioch. It is there, in that place that they were first called “Christians”. (I was being careful to call them followers of Christ to this point… and some scholars believe that the term was first used more to mock, but today, I can use it with conviction.)

We also read about a prophecy given to the church that a famine is coming to the Roman world. There in Antioch they begin to make plans to bring relief to the Church in Jerusalem, and Paul and Barnabas are entrusted with the gifts. There is a lot of emphasis on giving and helping those less fortunate. This is something that is lacking in many Christian lives today. It is something that needs to be more prominent.

Keep going.... Day 12 tomorrow!

No comments: