A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Friday, March 2, 2012

The Acts of the Apostles, Chapter 5… for Day 5!

Ok, so this is a really busy chapter! Lots going on. We start with Ananias and Sapphira. They had a piece of land. They sold the land. They gave some of the money to the Apostles, but told them that they gave all of it. The Apostles challenged them and when they did, they died. They lied to the Holy Spirit and died for it. Scary thought. It’s not that they didn’t give all of the money. It is just that they tried to make people think that they did. Have you ever told someone a lie to make yourself look batter then you really were?

Next is one of my favourite passages in the Bible. As the disciples were praying for people to be healed verse 15 says, “As a result of the apostles’ work, sick people were brought out into the streets on beds and mats so that Peter’s shadow might fall across some of them as he went by.” People were healed when the apostles’ shadows went over them! Imagine being so filled with the Holy Spirit that your shadow healed people!

Next is something that we see a few times in the book of Acts. The disciples were preaching, and then they were arrested. While in prison an angel comes and breaks them out, and they go back out and keep preaching. Of note… In China, today, there are areas where it is illegal to be a Christian. One of the requirements of being a pastor is that you have to have been in jail for the cause of Christ. We see this theme all through Scripture. There are men and women that resolve to follow Christ, and obey him even if the authorities say it is illegal.

Also one other thing… there is a mention of a man named Gamaliel. He seems pretty wise. Let them speak. If it is of God, it will do well, and you do not want to fight God. If not, it will not be successful. He is a mentor to man we will hear about a WHOLE bunch later in this book.

No comments: