A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Acts 17 - Day 17 of our 28 day study...

Ok... If I had to have one chapter of the Bible that I would say is my fun favourite, this would be it!  A few weeks back I had someone text me and say, "Did you know that you rname is in the Bible?"  I was like, "Of course I do!  And that Jason was a really good guy!"  So this is that chapter.  Acts 17.  Paul and Silas were in Thessalonica (The city that the letters of 1 Thessalonians and 2 Thessalonians are written to) and as usual, he was preaching the Gospel, and showing people from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Messiah.  Some Jews believed, and some Gentiles agreed.  But some Jews were jealous and started a mob to go and get Paul and Silas... who were hiding at Jason's house.  Eventually they had to pay a fine (Paul, Silas and Jason) and then they were let go.

Paul and Silas left that evening to go to Berea.  These are some of my favourite people in the Bible.... the Bereans.  They heard Paul, and they believed Paul's words, and they were eager to do it.  Here is why I love these people so much though!  They searched the Scriptures to see if what Paul was saying was true!  They looked in the Bible to see if what he was telling them was actually the true.  SO that means that they had to know their Scriptures, and study their Scriptures.  That is something that so many people need to do... ACTUALLY SPEND TIME IN THEIR BIBLE!  And then here is the next couple keys... Do what it says... Listen to the Holy Spirit when he presses you to change something.

Paul preaching in Athens also brings debate.  One of the things that was valued in the Greek culture was their philosophies, and their many gods.  They had tributes to many gods, but there was one to "An Unknown God".  Paul seized on that as his opportunity.  He reveals the God of Heaven... his power... has majesty... his desire to know people.  It kind of reminded me about our culture today.  there are so many ideas out there, and so many ways of thinking, and so many sort of think there is a 'god' out there, but they don't know how to know God.  It is the god of Hollywood... that loves everyone... requires no change.  Paul would share a different God.  And as usual, his preaching gets him in trouble, but this time he is brought before the Athenian council to speak the Gospel.  Some believed and some laughed at him.... par for the course.

No comments: