A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Acts Chapter 6… for Day 6! (At time of the original post, this entry falls on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath)

As things go when things are not going someone’s way, the whining begins here in the early church. They’re getting better stuff than I am! How come he gets better stuff? As the church grows, more people are coming to the faith. Not all of them are Jews anymore. So a split happens between the Greeks and the Hebrews. As can happen, some things were going on that the leaders in the Church didn’t have the capacity to deal with. They needed help. Seven men were chose (who were wise, known for their good character, and full of the Holy Spirit) to help with some of the “work” items like giving out food. It allowed the apostles to focus on teaching and prayer.

One of those men is Stephen. The passage notes him specifically as being full of the Holy Spirit. He was arrested. Things seem to be intensifying between the Jewish leaders and the Christ-following Jews. If you look at some of the charges raised against him, you can see how they are a bit skewed from what he would have actually said. They keep watching for some sort of oppression or overthrow. But something happened. It’s like his face started to shine or something.

I hope everything works out for him…..

No comments: