A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Bible and the Tongue -- Day 3

Proverbs 12:18Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing.  NLT

If you look at a lot of the humour of today, SO much of it is based on cut-downs and sarcasm.  This kind of humour needs someone to be the target of the joke.  That person can be very hurt.  That is why this verse is talking about “cutting remarks”.

The verse goes on to say that wise words heal…. That they bring healing.  So you can see that there are two sides to this issues: The one doing the cutting and hurting, and the person helping to heal and encourage.

Think of the image of someone in a sword duel.  A sarcastic comment can be like someone being stabbed, and a person with wise words can help to close the wound.

Know what, though?  Sometimes comments made in fun can hurt someone and affect them for years.

THINK!
  •   Are you the one the makes the cutting comments? 
  •   What is a time when you have been the one with the healing words?
  •   Have you been really hurt by a cutting comment?
  •   Who do you go to for encouragement when you are hurt?
Words you may not know:
  •   Remark: to say casually, as in making a comment.

No comments: