A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Bible and the Tongue -- Day 1

Proverbs 18:21

The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.   NLT

Here begins a devotional based on what the Bible says about what you say and how you say it.  The Bible has a lot to say about this topic, and you will get to look into a few of the many over the next month.

There is a weapon out there that has destroyed families, caused wars, shattered friendships and ripped down people to the point of feeling worthless…. It is the tongue.

When the Bible describes the way people talk, it often compares it to the tongue.  It comes from the fact that you can’t talk if you don’t have a tongue.  Of course, your mouth shape, your teeth and all that other stuff contributes to speaking.

THINK! 
  • When you are spending time with your friends, which ones use what they say to put people down?  Who uses their words to encourage people?
  • What do you do?
  • Are there any people you have hurt with your words that you need to apologize to?
Words you may not know:

Reap: to get as a return, recompense, or result; what you harvest when you plant something
Consequences: the effect, result, or outcome of something occurring earlier

No comments: