A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Train Up a Child....

Ran into this in some reading lately.  Just thought I would share it here. 
(As quoted from The Unshakable Truth by Josh McDowell and Sean McDowell)

"Yet each of us is an original.  No other person is designed just like us.  Just as no two snowflakes are ever alike, no two humans are ever created alike.  We have similarities, of course.  If you have a brother of sister, you can probably see the likeness that comes from being of the same family.  Yet you also know that each of you is different.  Parents can certainly attest that no two children are alike.  Each of us, as a human child and child of God, has an original identity.  You are a one-of-a-kind original.  You have been been given distinct and special qualities that make you relationally unique.  God has placed within you special gifts, talents, passions, and a distinct personality that make you uniquely you.

Scripture recognizes our originality.  One subtle but powerful indication of this is found in the familiar words penned by King Solomon: 'Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it' (Proverbs 22:6 NASB).

Unfortunately, this verse is often misunderstood, and misapplied, by those who are responsible for the training of young people.  Some think it means, 'Have family devotions, make sure kids attend church and youth groups and a Christian school, and then when they are all grown up they will not depart from the faith.'

The real emphasis of this verse, however, centers on the phrase 'the way he [or she] should go.'  The writer is referring to the child's way, his or her learning or bent.  The root meanings of these words suggest guiding each child according to his or her own uniqueness, abilities, interests and talents--and then draw out and develop that uniqueness.  Train the child to be the unique person God relationally created him or her to be.

The same Hebrew word that is used in Proverbs 22 is translated 'bend' in two Psalms and refers to the bending of the archer's bow (See Psalm 11:2; 64:3).  Today, with precision manufacturing, almost anyone can pick up a bow with a 45-pound draw weight and do a fair job of hitting the target..  But in biblical days, nothing was standardized.  All archers made their own bows, and each archer had to know the unique characteristics of his own bow if he hoped to hit anything with it.

God's Word is telling us that you have an inborn uniqueness that your parents and caregivers are to identify and train accordingly.  In the Ryrie Study Bible, a note for Proverbs 22:6 explains that ''the way he should go' really means 'according to his way; that is, the child's habits and interests.'  The instruction must take into account his individuality and inclinations, his personality, the unique way God created him, and must be in keeping with his physical and mental development.'

My (Sean's) parents understood this truth and guided me to understand my 'bent'--those talents, gifts, inclinations, passions, and the distinctiveness that made me, me.  My dad saw that I had an inclination toward playing basketball.  I'm not a tlal person; neither is my father.  But as a young person Josh excelled at basketball, and he sensed I had the same talent.  He encouraged me to pursue it, coaching me as I learned the game.  And I eventually fulfilled my dream of being a point guard for Biola University.

My parents also picked up on my inquisitiveness.  I wanted to know things; I enjoyed figuring out why this was true or why that was true.  And I enjoyed sharing what I was learning with others.  Because they cultivated my natural inclinations in these directions, I ended up majoring in philosophy and theology and becoming an educator and speaker.  All this resulted in my understanding who I am--the unique person God created in his own relational image."

Parents, find those things about your kids that make them unique and nurture them and move them forward towards what God has for them....

No comments: