A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

As 2010 closes and 2011 prepares to start….

For the past few years, as we have come to the end of the year, I have tried to speak into the lives of those I interact with. This year my focus is on parents…. Those that God has entrusted to raise the next generation.


If I could say one thing to you as we come to the cusp of 2011 it would be this:


Do not underestimate what your kids are capable of accomplishing.


One of the ways that Leigh-Anne and I pour into the young people of Infuzion is to try to give them a bit more responsibility than most would allow them. Some young people have looked at us stunned that we would let them try. Others have thrived because of it. Others have not quite been ready for the responsibility that we have put upon them.


I just wanted to share a few examples of young people in the Bible who accomplished some great things. God loves to use young people!


King Josiah was 8 years old when he was made king of Judah. He did some great things to bring God’s people back into proper relationship with God. You can find his story in 2 Kings 22 and 23, and 1 Chronicles 34 and 35.


King David is probably best known for his battle with Goliath, but when you look at the story it is interesting to note that he was anointed as the next king of Israel and THEN he goes to feed his brothers at the battle where he hears about the challenge from Goliath. The current king was letting this giant threaten and mock the people of God, while David, seeing what God saw, was able to accept the challenge and win the battle. Many scholars believe David to be in his mid teens when this battle happened. You can find his story in 1 Samuel 16 and 17.


The prophet Jeremiah even doubted God’s call on his life when God began to prepare him for ministering to the people of Israel. Read Jeremiah 1:1 – 10.


Consider Mary, the mother of Jesus. Tradition suggests that she was also in her early teens when she gave birth to Jesus, which would have been the norm for that time period. Luke 1:26-38 shows how she had to weigh out the massive request and responsibility that was being put on her. She was obedient to the Lord and birthed our Saviour.


Jesus, of course, is known for his ministry and the death and resurrection, but what about in his early life? We see very little written about that time period, but what we do see has a young man that is learned in the Scriptures and who sets himself as one (at 12) of being found in the church(temple). Luke 2:41 – 49.


So where does that put us for this coming year? Here are some points that I would like you to pray through:


1 – Do what you can to guard your children’s hearts from evil.


2 – Pray for your kids every day.


3 – Encourage them in all of their talents, and be their biggest cheerleader when they get discouraged.


4 – Do everything you can to move your family closer to God.

No comments: