A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Still, after all of this time....

I have heard about it all of my life... There is a battle going on inside each of us between our flesh and our spirit. Today I watched something happen inside me that should have been a no-brainer. We were out at Wal-mart. We had a few things to pick up. We went through the line, paid for our stuff, rewrapped the kids, and went out to the car. We loaded everything in, and as I picked up Logan, I noticed some buttons that L-A had wanted sitting on the bottom of the cart. My first thought was that they had just fallen out of one of the bags, but when I thought about it for another minute, I realized that it had probably been missed.

Then it happened, my flesh jumped me. I thought, if I don't check the receipt, then I won't know if they got it, then i won't have to go back in. Then I checked the receipt. It wasn't there. They had missed it. I thought to myself that it was only something small, I'm not going to worry about it. I talked to L-A about it, and was thinking that I hate the line-ups at Wally and didn't want to go back in. As if I was thinking all of this. Should have been a simple solution.

I looked over at my sons. That was the thing that tipped me back into reality. What do I want them to see their father do? Should they see him do the right thing, or the wrong thing?

I went back into Wally and faced the line. I was in and out before you know it though. This was the first time in all of my years dealing with Walmart that there was not a huge line-up!

I guess I write this to draw attention to something that I observe among fathers. Many times they want their kids to grow up and be good Christians, but they are not willing to lead by example or do anything to guide them. It is like they want the kid to just stumble upon the truth.

How long will it be before a father that does not attend church runs into the kid that doesn't want to go to church to be like dad? My Dad did that. He stayed home from church when we were little. I wanted to stay home and watch Star Trek on Sunday Morning with Daddy.

Dads have to lead by example.....

No comments: