A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Hit Me Like a Sledgehammer!

Sledgehammer to the chest! Ouch! It was like I went flying. Took the hit, flew off my feet, and hit the wall, and then like some twisted kind of cartoon had that dazed look, stars floating around, and slowly I slide down the wall. It could only be more funny if Bugs Bunny was actually standing there making some wise-crack remark.


Someone said something to me recently that just totally blindsided me. It hurt. It made me angry. I didn’t react very well. It was of course based on a reaction that I had to someone else. Have to say, they did pretty well with their response to me, even though I totally blew it.

But you know, when I calmed down, their words made me think. I knew that some things were going on inside me, and that I have been a bit off, but I also thought that I had been keeping it more internal than I had been. Leigh-Anne and I have been having discussions about how to manage our house better, and how to change the environment in our house.

I was totally angry when we left church. On the way home Leigh-Anne turns to me, and says, “You really need to look at that. If people are seeing you like that, you need to deal with it.” I totally admitted that I had to. I was hurt. My pride was hurting. My feelings were hurt. I was frustrated. I HATE to be the one that is wrong! Darn that pride!

So when I get home, I have to apologize for my infraction… Sucked! I hate being wrong! I was though. Then I had to think about how this bad attitude could be impacting me in any other parts of my life.

The person that said the comment that hit me so hard wasn’t trying to be mean or anything, but they did sting me for a second. I know that this was something goo in the end because I had a verse of scripture that kept running through my head. Proverbs 27:6 “Wounds from a friend are better than many kisses from an enemy.”

Have to keep on this self-examination. I have to make some changes to myself…. Now on to action!

No comments: