A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Defining Generations

Much of what goes on in the current generation has to do with young people doubting the validity of the the Bible. They have been let down by so many, and in many cases the people they should be able to most trust... parents... pastors... etc.

This is an article from Jim Carattini from RZIM.org that I wanted to share with you. Take a look:

Many years ago I was involved in a conversation with a young mother whose son had recently been caught at school with drugs. Within her lament was the repeated declaration of embarrassment, “How could he do this to me?” “Why won’t kids today just take our word for it?” she cried. Her fiery questions masked a genuinely pained heart.

As she spoke the emptiness was unmistakable. Drugs and promiscuity once captivated her own life, stealing her youth, while forcing guilt and heartache into the crevices of her existence. She described the plaguing questions that led her down destructive pathways, the longings she tried to answer unsuccessfully. Sadly, it became more apparent that the deepest lament in her heart was that she had still not found the answer. She had learned in her years things that were not the answer, but the restlessness in her heart remained. Now she watched as her own son walked down the same empty roads, searching for answers himself, yet refusing to take her word for it.

No doubt, she too, had been pointed in different directions, each offering the tempting promise of better life, a better hope. But we live in a distrusting age. The generation of young people before us is much less trusting of the words and promises of others than previous generations have been.


A recent survey asked people of all ages to describe the single most defining attribute of their entire generation. As you can imagine, factors of war, economic depression, and political unrest were common answers for older generations. But the youngest group interviewed had a response that I still find unsettling, even as I believe it to be true. The group collectively responded that their generation was most defined by “broken promises.” The cynical spirit felt on today’s university campuses affirms the validity of such a response.

When the disciples rushed to tell Thomas the news of Christ’s resurrection, Thomas scoffed at his own friends. “Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe” (John 20:25). It was undoubtedly a harsh response in wake of their life-changing news. Yet, the gospel accounts note that Thomas continued to gather with these disciples, all of whom undoubtedly remained ecstatic about seeing Jesus alive just days before. Like all of us, intrigued by the hope of a promise, Thomas wanted to believe Jesus was alive. He just needed personal affirmation.

The good news of the gospel for a cynical generation is that Christ does not ask you simply to take someone’s word for it. The gospel accounts depict a truth that confronts us personally, the Christ who demands to know, “Who do you say that I am?” When Pilate stood before Jesus asking if he was the King of the Jews, Jesus answered, “Do you say this of your own accord, or did others say it to you about me?” (John 18:34). Jesus wants more than a simple nod in his direction; he asks you to take his life and find life in his name. He asks that you find him personally. It is a call that has defined countless generations.

To the doubt-ridden disciple, Jesus drew near. “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe” (John 20:27). “My Lord and my God!” Thomas cried. Might our own encounters with the risen Christ be equally defining.

1 comment:

One of Freedom said...

Some see this as a sort of travesty, but others, like myself, are excited that there are new opportunities for the gospel. But to take advantage of them involves shifting our own approaches. First we need to re-establish trust, we need to become good advertising for God. We need to engender trust by walking faithfully with the wounded showing them the life in Christ that they could have. Second we need to ditch quick answers. That is not the epistemological framework of this generation. The problem isn't whether or not there is Truth, the problem is that most people don't care. They need to see that the truth we affirm actually makes us different. Do we stand up for justice or do we cower in safe communities? Do we walk with the poor and broken or do we sit waiting for them to come into our churches? This means re-thinking apologetics. This generation isn't interested in arguing facts - they want to see something real.

I think there is some truth to the broken promises assessment. I also think there is a deeper core issue - that of our liberal democracy that leads to a soft-relativism - but regardless of the cause, the response it the same. We need to show our city the God we speak of.

Good article Jay.