A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Wow... That was loud!

Let me just begin by saying that this entry may end up all over the place.... much like my Friday night to Saturday morning.  

Sometimes living Infuzion is about having ministry events that are a bit of a calculated risk.  We had an event with the girls from Infuzion.  We called it "An Evening of Honour".  We had the girls that were available sleep over.  Leigh-Anne had some crafts for them to do.  We played some video games.  We watched a movie.  We ate pizza and chips.  I guess we never did get to the nachos (Sorry M)

I saw this as a positive event, and I think there were a lot of issues spoken of (mostly in our fun time), and we got to know each of these young women better.  They all have such potential and such energy.  We also had some time to talk to them about the way our culture tries to define what is beautiful, and then we talked about what the Bible said about what true beauty was.

1 Peter 3:3, 4 says:
Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.

There was quite the discussion from all of them about how people at school were, and how people were treating others and how people responded to feedback on clothes and peer pressure to dress in certain ways.  This is just the first of many ways to reinforce that it's ok to try to look your best, but if your character stinks, how do you take a shower to get rid of the AO (Attitude Odour)?

There were a few points where I sat and thought to myself, "What have I gotten myself into?"  There was screaming and giggling and laughing and they loved Casey's toys.  These 9/10 ish girls kept playing with toys aimed at a 6 month old child.

At one point the room sort of took control of itself.  There were markers being used to draw mustaches on each other.  Some of the drew armpit hair in.  Some wrote words on their arms.  Good thing they were water based markers.  It took them a little bit of time to get them to clean off.  Some wanted to go outside and show people.  We nixed that idea.  

The decibel level in my house with that many girls was incredible!  How could such tiny people make such huge noise?  They worry about the weirdest things.  They rearranged who they were going to put their sleeping bag beside several times.  They were fascinated by Nestea water-bottle crystals.  They like extremely plain pizza.  They don't like popcorn.  They have siblings that drive them nuts, but still they love them.  They loved my swords and lightsabers.  They were ok at Wii Bowling, and seemed to struggle with Mario Kart Wii.  They loved the little glow in the dark bracelets we gave them.  They love to express themselves.  They all wanted our attention at the same time.  They got along.  Put Logan or Casey into the middle of it and the energy was greater.  Casey sort of wanted to stay back out of it though.  He was best, just off sitting with Mommy or Daddy.  He had this look on his face that just expressed confusion, and uneasiness.  "Mom, you never told me that the human voice could be so loud!"

I think there is really no way I can express all of what I saw this weekend.  I still shudder to think that at some point I will be crazy enough to do that again.  It was fun in a scary kind of way.

Leigh-Anne and I spent time loving and pouring into each of them where they were at.  What an incredible group of young women!  Get ready world, here they come and you better brace yourself!

No comments: