A Little Bit About Me...

My photo
I have many hats that I wear. I am a husband and father. I am pastor/teacher at my church. I am part of a team working on a large project at work. I am a friend. I am a budding visionary. I am a writer, an actor, and a director. I am an artist. I am a student of the Bible. I have a brain that comes up with some pretty crazy and interesting ideas, and I have a personality to match. I try to treat all people how I would like to be treated. I strive to be steadfast, immovable in my faith. I seek after the TRUTH, and I believe that it can be found, not just 'from my perspective', but for all people.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Here Comes Trouble!

We were out clothes shopping for our kids one day.  I came across this T-shirt that would have been for someone about Casey's (my youngest) age.  I don't know, maybe I am just getting too sensitive as a parent, but I wouldn't want something like that on my son.  The message that it puts on my child (even jokingly) is that he is "trouble", that he will cause an issue, or that he is misbehaved.  I wouldn't want him to think that he was trouble to his parents.  He's amazing... full of potential... a little rough and tumble boy.  He's fun.... ready to take on the world.

I was checking my email the other day.  I got an email from one of my favourite youth ministries.  Teen Mania/Acquire the Fire has a new theme each year.  A few years ago it was "Live the Difference".  Last year released the idea of "Battle Cry for a Generation".  This year's theme was released recently... "Here Comes Trouble".

If you know anything about Ron Luce (Founder of Teen Mania and ATF), you know him as a man  of faith, love and vision.  His goal is to reach this generation for Jesus Christ.  He pours out his energy finding ways to speak to teens in ways that are relevant, and shows then the importance of the Christian life.  He also works at training other Christian leaders to do the same.

ATF events tend to be causing controversy more now than in the past years.  Often liberal media tries to paint ATF events as "Ron Luce's Army", even though no one attending would agree.  People have begun to protest ATF events claiming that attenders do not think for themselves, and that their morality is being forced on culture.  There is such a lack of objectivity in much of the coverage, but at least there is coverage.

Anyways, here is the focus.  It is all about how living the Christian life will create opposition.  Christians are supposed to walk in love, gentleness and meekness, but also speak the truth.  It is that truth that people often have strong opposition to.  God's Word is the standard the Christian should live by.  

Now, being a father and a person working with young people, I hope and pray that I will be able to help my children and those I minster to come to a point where they choose to follow Christ.  I pray that they will find the strength of character to live out their faith.  As they do I'm sure there will be those that will see them and say, "Here Comes Trouble".

No comments: